Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The argument for learning to write code - for a non-tech exec.


I experienced an interesting coincidence a few weeks back between an visit to General Assembly in NYC to attend an orientation session on a back-end computer coding class, and an article that appeared in the Wall Street Journal “It’s time to crack the code” about the rush by many to learn computer coding.
I have a strong professional interest in the fast growing tech start-up scene in NYC’s “Silicon Alley” as one of the most vibrant business sectors around today. I’ve been attending NYC Meet-ups such as Matt Turck's Hard Wired and the monster NY Tech Meet-up and hearing much about the transformational impact of technology on business and our lives in general.
Ruby computer code example.
While I have been involved on the business and strategic end of digital marketing and web development for many years, I must admit that I have never written a single line of programming code.
So why should I care about programming languages that build mobile apps or websites? What’s big deal about Ruby and Ruby on Rails? What difference does it make if I take a waterfall / linear versus agile development approach?
Not to be confused with slippers of the same name.

It turns out that I’ve been missing a lot after I started looking into the benefits of be conversant in computer coding, at least in terms of better being able to discuss what’s possible with my development team partners.
I like the fact that I used to work in a Lumber Yard in high school and did contracting work in college. I know my way around a hardware store and even surprise the guys at Home Depot when discussing plywood grades. 
Sure hope there was nothing structural in that wall!
This knowledge was invaluable when I hired a contractor and remodeled my NYC apartment a couple of years ago. We could discuss what was possible – from installing a pocket door to the electrical amps and equipment required to rewire my apartment to support a bunch of new appliances and kitchen ventilation.  

General Assembly did a great job of outlining the back end web development course benefits. Even without tech / web developer career aspirations, I got the sense from their instructors that I will be able to work on e commerce and digital marketing on a whole different level by simply learning the basics of the languages and processes used to build these apps and websites. Taking class in person maybe be a better option than using online learning exclusively with the likes of lynda.com - as I will be able to collaborate in person with tech savvy innovators.

In an organizational setting this broader skill-set will certainly improve collaboration across the divide that has historically existed between marketing, sales, customer service and IT. Good leaders "do by doing" and as a result can run more purposeful meetings.The outcome will be a faster and better way to get applications / websites built, tested and optimized. 
And finally I think it will enhance my “intellectual flexibility” – a key hiring attribute sought by Google - according to their CEO Eric Schmidt featured recently on CBS Morning News interview.
None of us know what the future of technology holds. But I am sure that I will be much better equipped as a business person by having these development language skills and development process knowledge. It will allow me to have more intelligent conversations about technology, especially with millennial generation tech entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment